Meet Dr. Scheel
Dr. Scheel has degrees and advanced certifications in both psychology and clinical social work which include NYU Medical Langone Human Sexuality and Sex Therapy Program and John Jay College of Criminal Justice NYC Post-Graduate Certification in Forensic Psychology. She is highly regarded as an expert in the treatment of eating and related disorders and author of a book on eating disorder recovery. In addition, she maintains two blogs in Psychology Today: “Sex is a Language” and “When Food is family.”.
Dr. Scheel is licensed in North Carolina, New York, and California. She currently maintains a private practice in Charlotte, NC and New York (Westchester County & occasionally NYC) and sees individuals in California via telemedicine. She brings a psychology of expertise to the human aspect of people and how they understand motivations and relationships in their work, family and every day lives.
An analytic adage states, “A therapist can take their patients only as far as the therapist has come.” Dr. Scheel is personally and professionally guided by removing psychological resistances and fears which stand in the way of pursuing personal and professional goals. Life is an adventure and opportunities are bountiful with strength, trust in oneself, insight and integrity……and remembering to laugh.
Dr. Scheel lives most days in Appalachia, NC and sometimes in Charlotte. She travels regularly fulfilling both personal and professional interests.
- STAR (Society for Sex Therapy and Research)
- IAEDP (International Association of Eating Disorder Professions)
- NASW (National Association of Social Workers)
Brief Academic Resume and Certifications:
- John Jay College of Criminal Justice, NY, NY – Post-Graduate Certification in Forensic Psychology
- NASW – Certification as a Clinical Supervisor to clinicians seeking state Licensure
- NYU Medical School Langone, NY, NY – Post-Graduate Human Sexuality and Sex Therapy Program
- CEDS – Certified Eating Disorder Specialist
- Yeshiva University, NY, NY – Doctorate (Ph.D.)
- NYU Psychoanalytic Institute, NY, NY – Fellowship in Psychoanalysis
- New York University, NY, NY – Post-Graduate Certification in Advanced Clinical Psychotherapy Practice
- Fordham University, NY, NY – Master of Social Work
- College at Purchase, State University of NY – Bachelor of Arts